You are here

Violation Notices (CVB Tickets)

What is the Central Violations Bureau?

The Central Violations Bureau is a national center responsible for processing violation notices (tickets) issued and payments received for petty offenses charged on a federal violation notice. This includes violations that occur on federal property such as federal buildings, national parks, military installations, post offices, Veteran Affairs medical centers, national wildlife refuges, and national forests. The Central Violations Bureau processes violation notices for violations of federal law that occur outside federal property as well. For example, migratory bird offenses that occur on private property.  Additional information regarding Central Violation Bureau citations can be found at


Frequently Asked Questions

  • I received a Petition to Revoke because I forgot to pay the fine. I just paid the fine. Do I still need to go to Court?

    Yes, you will still need to go to court unless you are notified otherwise.

  • I pled guilty in court, but I forgot to pay my fine and received a Petition to Revoke in the mail. What happens now?

    If you pled guilty in court and agreed to pay a fine, but failed to do so, the Government can file a Motion to Revoke and require you to return to court and address the non-payment.  Please note, failure to appear for court could result in a warrant being issued for your arrest.

  • I was charged with an Information, my case concluded and I have a fine to pay. Where do I make payment?

    Because you have been charged with an offense in the US District Court, payments need to be made to the US Clerk of Court in the Central District of Illinois.  You may pay in the office with exact cash, cashier’s check, or money order.  You may also mail in a cashier’s check or money order to the U.S. Clerk’s Office at 322 16th Street, Suite 200 A, Rock Island, IL 61201 with your name and case number written clearly on the payment document.

  • I received a Central Violation Bureau citation on the Rock Island Arsenal, but now I received a document titled “Information” in the mail. What does that mean and what happens now?

    With more serious offenses, the Government has the option to charge defendants criminally.  In most cases, the Government will file an Information with the Court charging defendants with Misdemeanor Offenses.   If you have been charged in an Information, you will receive a Notice to Appear from the Clerk’s Office indicating your court day and time at the Federal Courthouse.   If this is the same offense that you received a citation for, the citation is usually dismissed and the case proceeds under the Information.

    If you have hired an attorney, please let them know what day and time court has been scheduled.   If you cannot afford to hire an attorney and the Government is seeking jail time, you may ask the court to appoint an attorney for you.  The Court will determine if you meet financial qualifications for court appointed counsel.  If you meet the financial qualifications and the Court appoints an attorney, you will receive your new attorney’s name and telephone number before you leave court.  It will be your responsibility to call the attorney and advise them of your case and your next court day/time.

    If you cannot make your scheduled court time, you will need to notify the Court prior to the court day by calling the Clerk’s Office at 309-793-5778.   Please note that failure to attend court hearings can result in a warrant being issued for your arrest.

  • What happens if I don't pay the ticket or appear in court?

    If you fail to pay the amount due or to appear in court on the date and time scheduled, the United States District Court may issue a summons ordering you to appear or issue a warrant for your arrest. If you are charged with a motor-vehicle violation, the court may also report your failure to pay or appear to your state's motor-vehicle or driver-licensing agency, which may affect your driving privileges, or your vehicle registration, or both.

  • What if I pay my ticket the day of court on-line?

    The court will be notified of your payment. You will not have to appear in court.

  • When is my payment due by?

    All payments must be received on or before the scheduled court date.

  • I received a violation notice, it is marked optional, what are my choices?

    Please see for your options regarding your ticket.

  • I received a violation notice, it is marked mandatory, do I have to appear in court?

    Yes, appearance is mandatory.

  • I want to contest my ticket in court, but I don't have a court date written on my ticket.

    For Central District of Illinois cases, Notice to Appear will be issued and mailed to you 2 to 4 weeks prior to the court date.  If you should have any questions regarding your court date, please contact the Clerk’s Office. 

  • How can I check the status of a ticket?

    Contact the Central Violations Bureau by calling 800-827-2982.  Use option 4 to hear an automated recording with the status of your ticket.

  • How can I pay a ticket?

    You can pay on-line at .   You may also make a payment by calling the Central Violations Bureau during normal business hours at (800) 827-2982 or mail a check or money order to the following address.   PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH! 

    Central Violations Bureau

    P.O. Box 780549

    San Antonio, TX 78278-0549

    Make sure to include the location code and violation number on your payment!

    PLEASE NOTE:   If you make payment on a ticket which has a mandatory court appearance, appearance is still necessary.   The Clerk’s Office does not accept payment of CVB tickets – payment must be made through the CVB website.

  • How do I know if I received a federal ticket?

    Visit the Central Violations Bureau website at to view an image of a federal ticket.  This site is designed to allow on-line payments of FEDERAL TICKETS ONLY.   If the ticket you received does not say "U.S. District Court Violation Notice" across the top, then you did not receive a federal ticket.   Federal tickets are issued by law enforcement personnel from agencies such as the U.S. Park Police, U.S. Fish & Wildlife, Department of Defense Police, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Provost Marshal, Airforce, Marines & Navy Security Forces, U.S. Postal Police, U.S. Customs, U.S. Border Patrol, and V.A. Police.